Sunday 28 June 2015

First Blank of 2015

Rossall Promenade
Saturday 27th June 2015
Low tide approx 14:40

I suppose it had to happen sometime.  So far on my sea fishing adventures, both me and my usual partner Danny had managed to avoid the blank. Sometimes we only had 1 each, but at least we caught.

This time though, there was added pressure as both me and Danny had belatedly joined the summer species hunt run by the Lancashire Sea Fishing Facebook page and as we were late entries we had some catching up to do. 

After having a good result last time out we headed back up to Rossall Prom area, this time though we headed a bit further up to where the concrete bits are just up from the 5 bar gate. The plan was to get there just for low tide and fish it all the way up as we had done last time.  A bit of traffic on the motorway meant we were a little late and only managed to get there for about 15:15.  We met a third member of our group at the gate as Novice Dez had decided to tag along for the day. 

So.......full of anticipation, the 3 of us soon had baits in the water.  As I was in a species hunt zone, I set up 2 rods. One to fish a loop rig with 2 hooks; this rod was to be a 'catch anything rod' hoping that I would be able to catch up on the species hunt with the 'easy' species.  The other rod was set up with a pulley Pennel rig, baited with crab, I was hoping I might snare a Smoothhound on this rod.

Well, I persevered all afternoon, following the tide all the way up but sadly my rods showed no signs of life and only Danny out of the 3 of us managed to break the blank with a small Plaice to kick off his species hunt. 

So by high tide at around 20:40, spirits were low and it wasn't looking like I was going to get a result this time. Novice Dez must have been having a bad time as in a fit of rage he decided to break my rod that I lent to him and then storm off home (ok, I might have exaggerated that for dramatic effect, but he did break my rod and with that decided it was time for him to call it a night).

Danny and I continued on for about 90 mins after high tide before conceding to defeat and making our way back to the car. Throughout the day there had been many other anglers on the beach but as we walked back to the car, as far as we could see, everyone had already gone; it was probably a sign that the area hadn't fished well that night.

I can't help but think that I have jinxed myself by entering the species hunt. We will have to see but for now, my score remains at 0.


No comments:

Post a Comment