Friday 10 July 2015

Preston Docks - Species Hunting

Preston Docks - Bull nose
Thursday 9th July
High Tide - Approx 18:00

So last time I went out sea fishing, I decided that the species hunt card for the Lancs Sea Fishing group had officially jinxed me. I needed to get going on this hunt and break the curse so a check of the tides during the week showed a favourable time for me to hit Preston docks and hopefully get off the mark with a Flounder.

With.a high tide of around 18:00, it was ideal for me to get down there after work just about high tide and fish it for a couple of hours down.

Work spoiled it a little bit and I found myself getting there a little later than planned. I called the drive thru for some tea first and took it to the bullnose with me. Planning to chuck a bait on first before eating my burger, I barely had a bait in the water for 5 minutes and managed just one bite of the burger before the rod was bouncing. A short but spirited battle saw me land my first fish of the night and finally get under way on the species hunt with the Flounder. Mission accomplished.

Fish number 1 - the Flounder

In theory, I could go home now but decided I would just fish it for a couple of hours to use up the bait I had took with me.  I took another 5 flounder over the next couple of hours and all were bigger than the first one I claimed. All were taken on a smelly, sticky frozen black lug.  As an added bonus, I also managed to snare an Eel, I hate these buggers but was happy to see one on this night as it took my species count now to 2.
Fish number 2 - Eel

I called it a night at around 20:30. Feeling happy to have gotten off the mark on the species hunt. Need to get moving now and get some of the other common species under my belt before I can start targetting the more rare species

No comments:

Post a Comment