Friday 19 June 2015

Weekend Double Header

This latest post comes after a weekend double header where I have managed to get out on both the Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday's session saw me at Hanchurch Fisheries near Stoke for the latest match in Pemberton Central's calendar and Sunday was a change of discipline as I swapped the pole for a beachcaster and header back up to 5 Bar Gate to fish the evening.

Hanchurch Fisheries

Pemberton Central Match
Hanchurch Fisheries - Model Canal
Saturday 13th June 2015

www.hanchurch-fisheries.co.uk


This match on the Pemberton Central calendar is normally one of the better venues, where good winning weights and consistent back up weights often leads to very enjoyable matches.  This year is slightly different though as we were approaching this match amidst stories of fish kills and KHV.  Fair to say, on arrival at the fishery, the fishery staff did indeed confirm that there had been a fish kill and that the Model Canal was empty as recently as March.  We were assured though that the issue had been resolved and the lake had been re-stocked.  Confidence restored a little, we approached the draw with renewed enthusiasm.  On the day we were the only club on the venue so we were allowed to utilise the whole lake and spread ourselves out a bit; I drew last and had peg 25 in my hand.  Peg 25 is close to the 'bottom' end of the lake as it bends round and was looking a decent enough peg with the only issue being the high bank behind me meaning I would have to double ship to fish long.


With the rain drizzling down, I set out my approach for the day.  I set up a rig long close to the far bank in about 18 inches of water; here I would fish banded pellet and feed the same.  The double shipping issue was getting to me though and with the rain looking like it would persist, I thought this line would only be back up and I would aim to catch on the track swim.  For the track swims, I set up 2 rigs, one to fish on the deck at about 3 1/2 feet deep and the other was a rig for fishing up in the water at various depths; I managed to find 2 areas with the same depth so would be able to use these rigs and rotate swims.  My final rig was a margin swim to my right, just before the next empty peg; here I fed groundbait and dead red maggot and had maggot for the hook.

At the all in, I fed half a pot of pellets on the left hand track swim and immediately went over it with the bottom rig.  After the initial pot of bait, I was loose feeding 3 or 4 pellets by hand, hoping to bring the fish up in the water on this swim; whilst fishing the track, I was also occasionally catapulting pellets across to the far bank.  At the half way point in the match, I was really struggling, having caught only 3 fish in that time; with hindsight, I clearly let the double shipping bother me too much and subsequently forced the track swims fr too much when they were clearly not going to produce for me on the day.  After finally stopping sulking, I sorted my act out and started to fish long.  It wasn't the easiest of swims, with overhanging grass and debris on the bottom, I was constantly getting snagged or having to ship back to clear my hook of grass and weed but eventually, through trial and error I managed to find a couple of areas where I could present a bait and, as if by magic, I started to catch some fish; they weren't particularly big fish but they were a welcome addition to the keep net.  For the next 90 mins or so, I was steadily catching but I knew I wasn't catching fast enough or big enough fish to compete in match.  With about an hour to go, I switched to my margin swim, which I had been feeding from the half way point in the match.  Instantly I was into a fish but like the long swim, they weren't coming anywhere near fast enough or big enough to compete.  For the final hour, I was catching a few fish by alternating between the long swim and the margin swim but after a frutrating match, I won't be ashamed of saying that I was glad of the all out being called.

As I was packing up, there was mixed reviews of decent bags and poor bags coming in so I was expecting quite a wide spread of weights.  The first indication of a poor day though came from Wayne Fairhurst, who is normally a main contender on this water, and as we weighed his catch at 13lb 4oz it wasn't looking good.  The scales went round quite quickly and visitor John Unsworth was leading the pack most of the way round with a weight of 57lb 14oz.  As the scales came to my peg, I put on a rather poor 16lb - Wayne's weight of 13lb 4 oz being the only thing between me and last place.

Top 3
1st - John Unsworth 57lb 14oz (Peg 56)
2nd - Dave Benson 41lb 10oz (Peg 28) - [2 weeks on the trot now he has beat me off the next peg]
3rd - Chris Fairhurst 38lb 10oz (Peg 48)

The drive home was a slightly down beat one.  Knowing full well that I blew that match by trying to force a line that clearly wasn't producing; I was kicking myself for such a poor performance.  As I drew the curtains that night, I was hoping that Sunday night's beach session would make up for a disappointing Saturday.

Cleveleys/Rossall Beach

5 Bar Gate
Sunday 14th June 2015

After the disappointing result on Saturday, I was hoping that Sunday's planned beach casting session was going to lift my spirits.  Well it did that!! 

With low tide expected around 16:40, my pal Danny picked me up around 3:30.  The plan was to pick up some fresh worm from Bispham Angling and then head up to 5 bar gate.  We've fished here a couple of times now but never at low water so we wanted to try it at this stage of the tide and fish it up to high tide in daylight, which would allow us to see how the tide comes in on the many gulleys and holes in the beach.

First stop Bispham Angling and it was a first visit to the shop for me.  It's not a massive shop but seemed well stocked with all the sea fishing essentials.  We had a quick browse but keen to get out  fishing, we promptly collected our pre-ordered worm and headed off to the beach (via the chippy across the road, which happened to be open and well, it would be rude not too).

As we arrived at the now 6 Bar Gate, there was already a few anglers fishing so we managed to find a nice spot and made our way down to the water.  Danny had brought a bait pump with him, and even though we had bought some fresh worm, he planned on having a go to see if we could get some of our own.
My set up was a nice, simple 2 hook clipped down rig, fishing fresh worm on both hooks - this rig was later replaced with a loop rig which was far more successful.  As I intended to only fish one rod on this session, I was quickly set up and fishing, as was Danny who promptly started work with the pump as soon as he had a bait in the water.


Unfortunately, Danny was having no luck with the bait pump but he kept faith, especially after chatting with another 'pumper' who had also failed to get any worms. Maybe next time we will manage to get some. As the tide started to come in behind us, we it was time to start moving back up the beach and at this point I also managed to catch my first fish of the day which was a small Dab, a welcome catch but not the greatest of timing as the water was quickly filling up around my feet. After a bit of difficulty, I finally got the fish off the hook and made my way back up the beach before the water came over my wellies. Blank avoided I was very happy but it was a little while longer before my next fish.  As the tide was coming up, we both were able to seen the gullets on the beach filling up and could easily drop a bait in there and move back up the beach with tide knowing our baits, at least for the time being, were in prime position. As we were ready to up sticks and move back again, I had a really good bite but striking into it, I felt nothing pulling back so I dragged my rod up the beach to a dry spot before starting to reel in. As I was reeling in I saw another Dab skating the surface of the water, fish number 2 in but as I was getting this fish in closer I could see a second fish snaking through the shallow water. Closer inspection revealed the culprit to be a Bass!! Double hook up and my very first Bass ever. To say I was pleased was an understatement, even though the Bass was undersized.  Both fish were safely unhooked and returned to the sea. I was jumping for joy at the capture of my first Bass but I felt guilty celebrating as Danny had so far not caught.


We had to wait until about an hour before high tide for any further action but it started to be a bite a chuck as a shoal of whiting must have moved in. I had another double hook up and 3 more singles to take 5 small whiting over the next hour. It was also positive for Danny, who managed to avoid the blank with a Dab and a few whiting.  



To add to my species list, I also managed to catch a really small Tope Pup that was kind enough to smile for the camera.


We ended the session shortly after high tide and for me, it was the best sea session I have had so far this year. 8 fish, 4 species and lots learned with regards to the beach and where to put our baits as the tide comes in. All fish were undersized on this day and all went safely back to the sea.

I'm certainly looking forward to my next visit where I can put this knowledge back into action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment