Sunday 14 September 2014

Rosemary Wood - Moss Lake

After around 6 months of action, this match was to draw a close to my campaign with Pem Central this year. Prior to going into today's match I was sitting 3rd in the league but as I was going to miss the final match of the year I needed a good result at Rosemary Wood to try make a claim for 3rd place in the league.

After a good breakfast (where would fishing be without it), me and Wayne made our way to the fishery with Wayne telling tales of a poor day there earlier in the week when he went for a sneaky practice. So at the draw, talk was rife with poor reports from rosemary wood and worries of a fish kill being rumored from a fishery we are visiting later in the month, potentially more on that to follow.

My draw put me on peg 45. End peg for the day but at the wrong end of the wind and whilst I have fished the boards before, I've not fished this peg.

Plan for the day was meant to be a simple one. My main effort was going to be focused on the pellet waggler, with a feeder rod set up to fish either the method feeder or straight lead. For the first time on Moss Lake, I actually took my pole and fished a short pole line against the reeds with krill and tuna groundbait and sweet corn.

At the start of the match, I expected most others to go out on the feeder to start with so I planned on going straight out with the pellet waggler. I was using 11mm pellets today as normally the wind here is quite breezy but typically today it wasn't too bad. After 45 mins on the pellet waggler I had only a skimmer of about 1lb to show for it so I decided to try the feeder. Starting initially on the method feeder I had a wrap round bite on my first cast and was hoping this would signify the start of a bagging session but sadly a single carp of around 2lb is all that came of it. After trying the feeder for a while with no further success I decided to try the waggler again as I had been getting some line bites on the feeder whilst I was feeding pellets over the top. Another fruitless period in the waggler and by this time I was starting to lose faith, and interest if truth be told. A switch to the feeder again saw another solitary fish followed by a long period of nothing.

I was now pinning my hopes on my short pole line. A look here with corn on the hook produced a run of small roach and skimmers. Eventually, my enthusiasm, along with any hopes of a good result here, had all but disappeared and I sat the rest of the match out with the bomb in the hope that a big carp would pick up my single 11mm pellet. With half an hour to go, enough was enough for me and I called time on what was the worse match  of my year.

The weigh in showed 7lb-odd for my efforts and whilst the venue had fished poorly all round, I was only good enough for 13th out of 15, and to be honest I was lucky for that as Dave Benson on the next peg chucked back at least 10lb so I could have been one place lower.

Well do e to Alex, who chalked up another win and looks to have all but secured the league win, providing he can get a half decent result at Heronbrook in a few weeks, I'm sure Wayne and Angy will push him all the way though.


No comments:

Post a Comment