Sunday 7 September 2014

Hall Lane - Gwen's Canal

Saturday 6th September and as I awoke this morning I was greeted by grey skies and what looked to be a promise of rain this morning. Typical following a week of reasonably consistent dry weather. 

Sure enough as I got to the fishery, the rain was threatening even more and after taking a quick walk down the water, the rain made it's presence known. As is true to form, I have brought neither my brolley nor my boots so I was in for a soaking in the morning and a hope that it dries up in the afternoon.

For those that haven't been before, Gwen's canal is a long straight length canal, very uniform and a very fair match venue and in my opinion, the best water on the fishery.


Once all the guys had turned up, we had only 13 on, but what it did was give us some space and we decided to peg it roughly every other peg.  I drew peg 7, from which I was hearing its poor and never frames but also that it's a great peg. It's always hard to decide what is a genuine report and what is just pre match banter so I decided to ignore those and just see what the day brought.

My plan for day was to fish short of the far bank, about 13.5 metre, in about 3ft of water and gradually follow the fish up to the bank if they backed off a little.  I wanted to keep bait choices simple today so on this line i simply used a mixture of 2 and 4 mm pellets from marukyu j pellets and Skrill ranges and used the same soft hookers. I set up 3 rigs for this line, one to start with and then a few shallower ones for following them up to the bank.  The only other rig I had set up was a short rig, fished on just a top kit and short 3 section. Here I set my rig about an inch over depth and fished dead maggot over a bed of groundbait. My groundbait mix for today was a 'use-up' mix containing the leftovers of a bag of old ghost green alga and some marukyu 101 to bulk it out a bit. 

My peg for the day.

At the start, I fed my main swim with about half a pot of my pellet mix and then fed my short line with a ball if groundbait and about half a pot of dead maggots.
I went straight onto my 13.5 metre line and after a short wait I was getting bites and catching the odd fish. If I'm honest, it was a bit slow going but I was catching, after 2 or 3 fish I started to introduce some feed via a toss pot after every fish. The bites were coming but I was also getting a lot of missed bites that was becoming a bit of nightmare with soft hookers so I made a slight change and tried a banded 4mm pellet instead. This seemed to do the trick and I started hooking fish but they were reall small baby carp and this possibly explained the tricky bites I was getting on the bigger, soft hookers. Already though, Dave Bemson on peg 4 and Ste Green on peg 9 were catching more frequently and what looked like a much larger stamp, more importantly though, they were catching them tight across. So I made a decision to try across so on went my 16metre section and I had a look, but not before I fed another ball of groundbait and dead maggots on my short line. I had a couple if fish right across but all the issues I had at 13 metres I was also having against the bank, so after about 90 mins I refed my 13.5 metre line, put a small pot of pellets against the bank and decided to have a look short.

This proved to be a major turning point in the match for me as I started to put a run of good sized fish together and make up for the slow start. I was feeding small nuggets of groundbait and a small toss pit of dead maggot after every fish but sure enough, it wasn't long before the small fish made an appearance again so I decided to put a big ball of groundbait on this line and try against the far bank again, but this time using dead maggot and feeding groundbait. This did the trick and a run if better fish followed until the small fish showed up again. What followed for the rest of the match was a pattern of me fishing short until the small fish turned up, when they did, I'd feed heavy and move to the far bank and vice versa. Other than a quiet last half hour I caught well for he rest of the match and really enjoyed the day. When the all out was called I had 67 fish on the clicker but was unsure of my weight due to the large numbers of small fish that I had. I made a private estimate at around 40-45lb.

We started the weigh in at the far end of the canal and the first 3 anglers set a good benchmark with a leading weight of 67lb coming from Wayne Fairhurst while Bob Crank and Mark Anglessey were only 4oz apart on 54-4 and 54-8 respectively. The weights dropped a bit as we made our way along the centre section of the canal but as we got up to Ste Green we were back in the 50's as his weight went to 52-0. Feeling me and Ste had similar numbers, I felt my smaller stamp would put me lower than that and my 45lb estimate might have been close however, as always proves to the the case, I was very wrong and my weight went to 52-12. A narrow next peg victory over Ste for me. Only 2 left to weigh ad Dave Benson was clearly going to challenge for the lead. His 2 nets went to 89lb, a cracking result. Only Alex left to weigh off the end peg. His total went to 58lb putting him 3rd overall. With Dave and Alex both placing in the match, that meant I won my section by double default and saw me finish 6th overall. 

I wouldn't normally be overjoyed with a result of 6th out of 13 but truth be told, I've had an enjoyable day, which given my current form, is a massive improvement in itself and I will say that I did really enjoy the day.

The league is looking really tight at the top now with Wayne and Alex sharing top spot with 2 matches to go and with the ability to drop our worse result, it looks like it's going all the way to the wire. I am currently in 3rd place and would be well in contention if it wasn't for the fact that I'll be missing the last match.

Rosemary wood next for us and that will be my last club match for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment