Friday 8 May 2015

Heronbrook Fishery - Meadow Pool

Heronbrook Fishery - Meadow Pool
Saturday 9th May 2015
www.heronbrookfisheries.co.uk

Back on Match duty this weekend as I make the trip down to Heronbrook Fisheries. Quite a long trip for a club based in Wigan but over the years this has proved to be one of the fairest match venues we fish. We don't always get huge weights, but what we get is consistent weights across the field. This fact makes me look forward to this fixture on the match calendar and this week was no different. 



I must say though that as I was sat at home drafting the introduction to this blog entry on Friday afternoon, the constant rain that had been falling in Wigan since lunch time was filling me with dread for a washout, in fact I am sure the last time I fished Heronbrook we had really heavy rain as well. Fingers crossed for a dry day on Saturday.

Well, Saturday was far from dry but there were odd breaks in the weather and dry spells. What was dominant though was the wind and as I found myself on peg 18 of meadow pool, the wind was coming straight across me from my right. This made fishing the long pole tight across near enough impossible. Sadly this day will not live long in the memory as I consider it to be my worse day ever on this normally very consistent water. In fact, the day was so bad for me personally, I am struggling to write about it - so to avoid a highly negative blog, I'm just going to summarise the events of the day and move on.
My setup on the day consisted of a track line at about 10m, plus 2 lines down the edge to my left, one at 13m and the other at about 4m. My plan was to feed meat on my track line and corn down the edge.  I decided that with the rain that had gone in the night before, the fishing would be tough so rather than put a full pot in at the start, I would feed the track line with the kinder pot and periodically feed corn by hand down the edge. As it happened, I had 3 fish in quick succession on the track line and by half 10, I was feeling quite positive however this is where the fun ended for me as following the last of the 3 on that initial run, my float was just sat lifeless. I did my best to make it work, I tried changing my shorting pattern, changing my depth, I even changed hook to a different size but nothing could produce another bite. Just before 12 I managed to fluke a fish as I lifted my rig to ship back and refeed, I felt a heavy lump. I quickly landed my 4th fish which was firmly hooked in the top lip - I would have sworn it would be foul hooked given the way I hooked it. That 4th fished signalled the end of any action I had on this day and as I sat for 3 hours, totally bite less, my frustration levels were rising dramatically. I'm sad to say that eventually the frustration got the better of me and half an hour before the end of the match, I packed up.  As the club also fish for team points, I was obligated to weigh in so the nets stayed in for now and I got the gear ready for the weigh in.

The weigh in proved to be a real mix bag with a much greater spread of weights than we are used to here. Top of the shop was Dave Leonard with a very respectable 79lb off peg 42, 3 more weights over 70lb made the top 4 with Jay Berry, Matty Ruddy and John Ruddy weighing in 74lb, 72-8 and 71-8 respectively. There were 3 weights in the 50's. The rest were spread out with 40's, 30's and 20's being placed on the scales. My 4 fish went 15-8 and even with Frank Aspinall making it a joint 15th place for me by placing the same weight from peg 21, I wasn't last as poor old Mark Anglesea - not normally used to being down this end of the results - weighed in just 11lb.

So with the 3 matches I have/am due to miss, the 11 points I gained from this visit (once visitor placing a are discounted) has pretty much seen off any chance of getting up to the top of the league this year. So it looks like I am playing for pride on a match by match basis now for the rest of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment