Monday 6 April 2015

Drennan Acolyte Ultra - First outing

Worthington Lakes - Arley Reservoir
Monday 6th April 2015

Now, I love waggler fishing, in particular, I love waggler fishing for silvers but with so little of my time spent doing it due to fishing matches dominated by pole and feeder techniques I have never been able to justify a really good rod for the method. So, with a bonus coming my way I decided it was time to treat myself. After much deliberation (and I mean more than I have done for any other rod purchase before) I settled on the Drennan Acolyte Ultra at 13ft. As you can imagine, once the rod was in my possession, I was keen to get it in use so I settled on a visit to Worthington lakes where I have had good days previously fishing the waggler up in the water - what better way to give it try.



At the venue I decided to fish Arley Reservoir which is the middle of the 3 lakes on offer at Worthington. The red arrow on the image shows where I pegged myself and I had a light but cold wind blowing in my face.

The venue was very foggy as I arrived which made it very cold. I expected the fog to lift as the sun got up but the reality was that I had to wait until midday before it had cleared and started to warm up a bit. 

The view I had for most of my session

Tactics for the day were going to be quite simple. I set up a 4g loaded waggler at around 5ft deep and cast it just as far as I could comfortably catapult my loose feed, which was a good tub of mixed maggot. It doesn't get much simpler than that. On previous sessions, I have been fishing this method here and had  large numbers of Roach, Perch and Hybrids so I was hopeful for a good day - I even took my keepnet in the hope that I could get a nice bag picture for the blog. The fish however had other ideas. After a slow start I managed to christen the rod with a nice Roach.
The Acolyte popped it's cherry with this Roach.

Sport was slow though with long gaps between bites. Eventually, after taking my eyes off the float for a second to pour a coffee, my float was under again and this time there was a bit more resistance at the other end and a short but spirited fight saw me land this 1lb+ skimmer.

Skimmers up in the water

By midday, I had added another 2 Roach and a nice Hybrid to bring my tally to 5. Not exactly the busy session I was hoping for but enough to demonstrate the performance of the wonderfully light and responsive Acolyte, that was truly a joy to use. 

A great piece of kit - Drennan Acolyte Ultra

This was followed by a long baron spell and as I searched the depths between 3 and 7/8ft, the only reward being a brief moment where I hooked one of Arleys resident Carp. I think I foul hooked it to honest as I was sinking my line but after an initial run towards me, the carp just about put a lovely bend in the rod before shooting off like a rocket and straightening the hook. The battle lasted all of about 12 seconds. As I was getting ready for leaving, I decided to empty the keepnet and allow it to dry for an hour whilst I had a few 'last casts'. Disaster struck though as clumsy old me managed to stand on my Daiwa Tournament landing net handle and truly flattened it - well done me. Luckily it was the butt section and I still had a usable landing net as one of the last casts resulted in a final Roach to bring the closing tally to 6.

All in all, an enjoyable day even if it wasn't as productive as I would have initially hoped. The session did however serve its purpose and I am pleased to say that I am the owner of a wonderful piece of kit in the Drennan Acolyte Ultra and I am looking forward to giving it more use in future sessions.

Next session for me will see me back on the match scene as Pemberton Central make their way to Old Hough fisheries to tackle 'Big Max' and I have a winning streak (of 1) to maintain so the pressure is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment