Saturday 30 August 2014

Worthington Woes

So it's been about a week since my last visit to Worthigton and I think I've sulked enough now to write about it.

Me and Paul headed down to the lakes for a tip session, hoping to catch some nice bream. Arley reservoir was our home and with the water level dropping we managed to find some pegs off the path on the same side of the car park. 

We set out to fish the tip all day, so I set up with my 12ft theory rod and was using some of mavers stone river line after having trouble with my reel line on my last outing. My groundbait for the day was bait tech pro natural bream and hook baits for the day were sea maggots, worms or corn. Dead maggots and hemp were being fed in the feeder. Paul had a similar set up only his mix was a 50/50 blend of bait tech omen and special g gold with the same hook bait options.

We both set off by putting some bait down and then switching to smaller feeder and sandwiching loose feed in the feeder. Although, as it would later transpire, I think I was using smaller feeders than Paul and not putting as much in.

As the day progressed as sat back and watched Paul put a steady run of skimmers and bream together whilst my tip remained motionless. In fact, it remained motionless for the whole day while Paul sacked up. 

I'm not going to say much more than that. In the end, I set up a waggler rod and fished it about 3ft deep to catch a good amount of perch. This avoided the blank and I actually quite enjoyed it although I would have liked some roach or hybrids to put in an appearance.

As a side note though, me and Paul use the same reels so we did a comparison on reel turns and discovered that I was fishing about 10 turns further out than he was. He also used fishmeal in his groundbait.  So, next time I go there I am going to fish shorter and try a mix much the same as Paul's and see if that makes the difference.

Weekend off this week and then it's back on club duty on the 6th September at Hall Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment