Saturday 7 June 2014

Bloggers curse......??

Is there such a thing? After today's outing I would be inclined to say yes. Less than 24 hours after kick starting my blog again, I record my worse result of the year.

Today Pem Central descended upon Partridge lakes for a match on the marsh canal. With the fishomania qualifier winner coming off marsh and reports of 60+lb midweek weights, we were looking forward to a good days fishing. The weather had other ideas though and proved a sound opponent.

Only 11 turned up today including one guest so it was a bit of a low turnout but it did mean that we could spread ourselves out a bit on the water. I drew peg 3, with Ste Green next to me on peg 2. Peg 4 was empty and Mark Anglesey occupied peg 5.


The keen eyed amongst you will notice I have 2 poles set up today. My regular pole is out of action at the moment whilst sections are being repaired (courtesy of my swimming session at Highfield) so I was on a loaner pole. Whilst setting up I realised that one if the top kits didn't fit which really limited my options. Kindly, mark lent me his spare pole so I had 2 different poles set up.

I went for 4 lines. 2 lines across, one in a little cutaway, and one against some far bank rushes. My 3rd line was short where I hoped to catch up in the water and my final line was down the edge. Baits were softened 4mm pellets on the 2 long lines, caster short and groundbait down the edge. I had a variety of hook baits and tried multiple options through the day.

After the all in I went long on cutaway swim and was instantly into a small mirror carp but following that fish, all I could manage was 2 small ide. After persevering on the long line for an hour, I tried the short line but had no signs of any fish feeding shallow. I tried a rig on this line to fish on the deck but that produced nothing either. Struggling for bites I found myself back on the long lines where I managed to nick another mirror  carp in front of the rushes but again this was a solitary fish and I was once again struggling for bites. With about 90 mins to go I tried my line down the edge with maggot on the hook and I managed to hook into an F1 before, like the others, this swim went dead. Frustration reigned and with half an hour left I decided enough was enough and packed up.

At the weigh in, it was obvious that the water hadn't fished great. My 5 fish went to 5lb dead which put me 10th out of 11 and last amongst club members. The match was won with 28lb off peg 9, with 2nd and 3rd weighing 19lb and 16lb.

All in all a poor day made worse by heavy rain and feeling a little bit lost without my usual pole. With 10pts coming my way, I have made things difficult for myself I want to stay top if the league but it has closed the gap and making for a close run league up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment